Note of Hope CD
Artists: Rob Wasserman with Jackson Browne, Ani DiFranco, Kurt Elling, Michael Franti, Nellie McKay, Tom Morello, Van Dyke Parks, Madeleine Peyroux, Lou Reed, Pete Seeger, Studs Terkel, Tony Trischka, and Chris Whitley.
12-Track Collection is a Collaboration in Words and Music, based on many of Guthrie's Unpublished Writings. The tracks, primarily unpublished Guthrie writings, were penned between 1942 and 1954 while he was living in New York City and Brooklyn. The project was conceived by Nora Guthrie, who, inspired by the work of renowned bassist Rob Wasserman asked him to lead the project. Together the two, along with music production company Steep Inc., recruited a stellar group of artists uniquely suited to bringing Guthrie's words alive.
"I always felt that Rob Wasserman's bass is one of the great companions to all words, having worked with so many great wordsmiths over the years," recalls Nora Guthrie. "Each of the artists we invited to collaborate were masterful writers in their own right, with a unique and distinctive voice that stands apart from all others."
1. The Note of Hope ~ Van Dyke Parks
2. Wild Card in the Hole ~ Madeleine Peyroux
3. Ease My Revolutionary Mind ~ Tom Morello
4. The Debt I Owe ~ Lou Reed
5. Union Love Juice ~ Michael Franti
6. Peace Pin Boogie ~ Kurt Elling
7. Voice ~ Ani DiFranco
8. I Heard A Man Talking ~ Studs Terkel
9. Old Folks ~ Nellie McKay
10. On The High Lonesome ~ Chris Whitley
11. There's a Feeling in the Music ~ Pete Seeger & Tony Trischka
12. You Know the Night ~ Jackson Browne
429 Records. 2011. CD.