The Live Wire: Woody Guthrie in Performance 1949 - Book & CD - GRAMMY Award Winner!
Artist: Woody & Marjorie Guthrie
*GRAMMY Award Winner for Best Historical Album!
For the first time hear Woody Guthrie perform live!
In 2001, The Woody Guthrie Archives received 2 spools of wire recordings from a live Woody Guthrie performance held in Newark, New Jersey in 1949. With the help of many talented recording engineers, the Woody Guthrie Foundation transferred this rare live performance from a delicate wire recording to digital audio, and, with state-of-the-art technology, restored it to near-perfection. This is one of the most significant recent finds in folk music history.
Packaged in a 72-page hardcover book including:
- Extensive historical text
- Original lyrics from The Woody Guthrie Archives
- Never-before-seen photos of Woody Guthrie in performance
- Historic and technical notes on wire recordings and the audio restoration processes
- And a PDF transcript of the entire recording
1. How much? How long?
2. Black Diamond
3. I was there and the dust was there
4. The Great Dust Storm
5. Folk singers and dancers
6. Talking Dust Bowl Blues
7. Tom Joad
8. Columbia River
9. Pastures of Plenty
10. Grand Coulee Dam
11. Told by Mother Bloor
12. 1913 Massacre
13. Quit sending your inspectors
14. Goodbye Centralia
15. A cowboy of some kind
16. Dead or Alive
17. Jesus Christ has come!
18. Jesus Christ
Total Running Time: 74:54
*Tracks in italics are spoken word.
Woody Guthrie Publications, Inc. 2007. 6 1/2" x 8" Hardcover Book & CD.